As part of the CSU System, Cal Poly utilizes the Cal State Apply application. We have compiled a variety of workshops, tips and guides to help guide you through the application.
Find detailed information on completing each section of the Cal State Apply application. Video tutorials are also available to walk you through the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Application Questions
What does residency mean?
Read more on our residency page.
What if I want to apply to more than one campus?
You'll use CalState Apply to apply to all California State University (CSU) campuses of your choosing. Select all campuses and program to which you wish to apply.
What identifying numbers do I use?
Use your social security number, if you have one, omitting dashes.
You can also enter your SSID and/or campus ID if you have one, though this is optional.
Issues with Cal State Apply?
Have your CAS ID# when contacting Cal State Apply. It can be found in the upper-right corner of your application.
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 857-304-2087
Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT
- Response times can be up to three business days.
Making Changes to Your Application
- The last day for application changes is January 15 for most majors. Music and Art and Design have until January 1 for changes.
- Changes are limited to:
- Primary or alternate majors
- Biographical information
- New test scores
- 12th grade coursework and A-G designation
Decision Timeline and Application Status
- Applicants will be notified of admission status by April 1 on the MyCalPoly portal and via email. Your MyCalPoly portal is the first place to see your decision.
- Having trouble with your portal access? Activate your portal or troubleshoot issues.
- International and internationally educated students must have all required documents submitted by March 1.
- We may request additional information in order to make a decision. Please check your email regularly to make sure you don't miss a request.
Our virtual workshops are a great guide through the application process. Workshops will be held most Wednesdays throughout October and November. We encourage you to check out our video tutorials before registering.
Have a question not addressed here or in the application itself? Please give us a call! We’re happy to help you throughout this process. If you would like to meet with an admissions officer one-on-one, just schedule an appointment.
Once the application has been submitted, very few changes are permitted. We are available Monday through Friday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., (PT) at (805) 756-2311.
Application Tip: Remember to take your time
We do not give preference to applications submitted early. Don’t rush through this process. Have someone else double check your application prior to submission, if possible.