As part of the CSU System, Cal Poly utilizes the Cal State Apply application. We have compiled a variety of tools to help guide you through the application.
Find detailed information on completing each section of the Cal State Apply application. Video tutorials are also available to walk you through the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Application Questions
What does residency mean?
Read more on our residency page.
What if I want to apply to more than one campus?
You'll use CalState Apply to apply to all California State University (CSU) campuses of your choosing. Select all campuses and program to which you wish to apply.
What identifying numbers do I use?
Use your social security number, if you have one, omitting dashes.
You can also enter your SSID and/or campus ID if you have one, though this is optional.
Questions for the Admissions Office?
Contact us! Graduate admissions email address is [email protected].
Issues with Cal State Apply?
Have your CAS ID# when contacting Cal State Apply. It can be found in the upper-right corner of your application.
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 857-304-2087
Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT
- Response times can be up to three business days.
Decision Timeline and Application Status
- Questions regarding each program's decision deadline should be directed to that program's Graduate Coordinator. Contact information can be found here.
- Having trouble with your portal access? Activate your portal or troubleshoot issues here.
- Cal Poly will update your portal in real time. That's the first place to see a decision. Check it regularly!
- We may request additional information in order to make a decision. Please check your email regularly to make sure you don't miss a request.
Have a question not addressed here or in the application itself? Please give us a call! We’re happy to help you throughout this process. Once the application has been submitted, very few changes are permitted. We are available Monday through Friday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., (PT) at (805) 756-2311.
Application Tip: Remember to take your time
We do not give preference to applications submitted early. Don’t rush through this process. Have someone else double check your application prior to submission, if possible.