Big changes are coming to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application for the upcoming 2024–2025 aid year. The Cal Poly Financial Aid Office is dedicated to keeping students, families, supporters and our campus community updated, so this page will be updated as additional information is made available.
Why is the FAFSA changing?
Congress passed the Consolidated Appropriations Act in Dec. 27, 2020. The law includes provisions that amend the Fostering Undergraduate Talent by Unlocking Resources for Education (FUTURE) Act and includes the FAFSA Simplification Act — a redesign of the processes and systems used to award federal student aid. The law makes it easier for students and their families to complete and submit the FAFSA and expands access to federal student aid.
What about the FAFSA is changing?
2024-2025 Availability Date
Normally the FAFSA becomes available on October 1, but the 2024-2025 FAFSA will not be available until the end of December 2023. The priority submission deadline remains April 2, 2024.
You’ll notice fewer questions when completing the 2024-2025 FAFSA and a simpler process for transferring tax information directly from the IRS.
You’ll notice a few new terms like "contributor" (anyone who is asked to provide information on the FAFSA, such as a parent or student’s spouse) and "consent" (each contributor will need to consent to their information being included on the FAFSA). Also, the term "Expected Family Contribution (EFC)" will be replaced with the "Student Aid Index (SAI)"–this is a new need analysis formula that we will use when awarding need-based grants and scholarships.
Do these changes impact the California Dream Act Application (CADAA)?
There will be some changes to the CADAA to mirror the updates to FAFSA. Like the FAFSA, the CADAA for 2024-2025 will be released in December 2023. The priority submission deadline has been extended to April 2, 2024. We will update this page with any information from the California Student Aid Commission regarding additional changes.
How can you prepare?
- Mark your calendar for December 2023 – we’ll update here once we know the exact date that you can complete your 2024-2025 FAFSA.
- Check this page for updates. As more information and resources become available, we will share them here.
- Sign up for your FSAID because it is required for the 2024-25 FAFSA. If you already have one, perfect! If you don’t have a Social Security number, don’t worry, we’ll post more guidance here for you soon.
Resources for Students
- Federal Student Aid: What is the FAFSA Simplification Act? | Federal Student Aid
- Updated FAFSA Tips and Tricks videos coming soon!
Resources for Faculty and Staff
Attend one of the following virtual information sessions for faculty and staff to learn about the updated timeline, new terminology, major application changes, and anticipated impact to students and programs. RSVP to attend one of these sessions.
- Wednesday, November 8 at 2:10 pm (PT)
- Thursday, November 16 at 11:10 am (PT)
- Friday, December 8 at 9:10 am (PT)