Skip to main content

Financial Aid for Summer Quarter

Cal Poly students taking classes during summer quarter may be eligible to receive financial aid. Limited funds are available, and the amount you may receive is based on the number of units in which you are enrolled, your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and remaining eligibility in Cal Poly’s financial aid programs.


Students must be matriculated and degree-seeking in a regular Cal Poly Program to be eligible for summer financial aid.

You must:

  • Be registered for the summer term. The number of units you need to be registered for will vary depending on what type of aid you receive.
  • Have a FAFSA or CA Dream act application on file for the previous academic year. This must be completed no later than June 30 at 10 p.m. PT.
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
  • Have eligibility remaining for the academic year.

Types of Aid Available


Grants are determined by how many units you are enrolled in and your EFC.

  • State University Grant
  • Summer Enrollment Grant
  • Summer Institutional Grant
  • Federal Pell Grant

Students with an EFC of 9,000 or less who are enrolled at least half-time will receive grant aid to cover the summer state tuition. It does not cover the out-of-state tuition. 

If you have used 100% of your Pell Grant during the academic year, you must be enrolled in at least half-time units to be considered for a summer Federal Pell Grant.


Summer loan recipients must be registered in at least half-time units (6 units for undergraduate and 4 units for graduate students). You must also have not used the maximum amount of loans for the academic year.

  • Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
  • Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Parent (PLUS) Loan Borrowers must complete the summer PLUS application at even if you borrowed a PLUS loan during the academic year (fall, winter or spring). 

Award Notification

Initial summer financial aid awards will be made starting in May and you will be notified whether you are eligible for aid or not via your My Cal Poly Portal. Not all students will be eligible for summer aid. You will be able to accept or decline your financial aid for the summer on your Portal.


  • Pell Grant recipients who are enrolled full-time in the first 5-week session should receive their aid in their student account on the first day of the summer quarter. Any refunds to your student account will occur starting later that week.
  • Loan recipients who are enrolled at least half-time should receive their aid in their student account on the first day of the summer quarter. If your half-time status is due to enrollment in concurrent 5-week courses, your enrollment will be checked at the start of the second 5-week course. If your enrollment has changed to below half-time, the summer loan may be canceled; any balance due will be immediately payable to Cal Poly.
  • If you are enrolled in less than 12 units, you will not receive your Pell Grant until the third week of the term.
  • If you are enrolled in only the 2nd 5-week session, you will not receive your aid until the start of that session.

Cal Poly Summer
Summer courses start in June. For additional information, visit Cal Poly Summer.