Majors and Colleges
Learn by Focusing
At Cal Poly, you’ll focus early. Your first year, you’ll start taking classes in your major; we want you hands-on and elbow-deep as soon as possible. Once you’ve begun to develop specialized skills and knowledge, you’ll take a step back and take general education courses.
You declare a major on your application, so NOW is the time to
- explore what you will do in your career
- consider different majors
- review degree requirements
- look ahead to what’s being offered when
- ask questions
- request more information
Learn by Following Your Own Path
“Don’t be afraid to change what you want your career to be. I majored in Animal Science to go to veterinary school, but in my last few quarters I got interested in range management. After grad school in environmental policy, I went to work as a life scientist for the EPA—a job that uses all my skills. There are so many opportunities in life; what you initially think you want to study won’t limit you.” –Cara Peck, ’04
Specialty Academic Programs
- Honors Program - Provides highly motivated and successful students with a broad and challenging learning experience through participation in a variety of curricular and co-curricular activities.
- International Education and Programs - Serving as the principal resource center for international education at Cal Poly.