David Hey, Ph.D., CHES
Assistant Professor - Kinesiology
- Southern Illinois University
Ph.D., in Health Education, 2004
- University of Wisconsin La Crosse
M. S., in School Health Education, 1993
- University of Wisconsin La Crosse
B. S., in Community Health Education, 1987
- KINE 443 (4 Units): Comprehensive School Health Education
- KINE 434 (4 Units): Planning Health Promotion Programs: Theory and Practice w/Lab
- KINE 510 (4 Units): Health Behavior Change Theory
- KINE 250 (4 Units): Healthy Living
- KINE 255 (4 Units): Personal Health: A Multi-Cultural Approach
- KINE 305 (2 Units): Drug Education
My father (Walter) and the teachers I have had through the years are credited with molding me into who I am, which contributes greatly to my currently held teaching philosophy. Cal Poly's "Learn by Doing" credence exemplifies the student experience in my classroom. Students are expected to: critically think, problem solve, and demonstrate the means to promote, build and sustain a healthier world for all of us to reside in.
Research and Interests
- Disparities in health as it relates to overweight and obesity prevalence in adults and children world-wide.
- Population based approaches to encourage healthy eating and active living.
- Policy and the Built environment to prevent overweight and obesity over –and-above individual educational campaigns
- Comprehensive school health curriculum design and instruction.
- Utilizing Focus Groups as a qualitative research paradigm.
Notable Academic Appointments and Awards
- Assistant Professor- Kinesiology Department at Cal Poly
- Cal Poly KINESIOLOGY/STRIDE Researcher
- VP-Elect Health: The California Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (CAHPERD)
- Chessen, J., Hey, D.W., Nicholson, L., & McDermott, A.Y. (2009). “What’s Cooking on the Central Coast with the Pink and the Dude Chefs?” Health Education and Behavior, 36(6), 975-977. Accessible at: http://heb.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/36/6/973
- Hey D.W., McDermott A.Y. Parent Perceptions on Childhood Obesity in Lompoc California: A Qualitative Focus Group Study. Session ID: 166861, Poster Number: 614-P, The Obesity Society's 2009 Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington DC, October 26, (2009). Peer-reviewed invited poster presentation.
- Hey D, McDermott AY Program Evaluation: A focus group study of Pink Chefs and Dude Chefs. Session ID: 166874, Poster Number: 598-P, The Obesity Society's 2009 Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington DC, October 26, (2009). Peer-reviewed invited poster presentation.
- McDermott, A. Y., Hey, D.W., Taylor, R., Grant-Holcomb, A., and Teaford, S. (2009). “Evaluation of School Wellness Policies in South San Luis Obispo County.” Accessible at: Cal Poly Digital Commons site: http://works.bepress.com/dhey/
- McDermott, A. Y., Hey, D., Taylor, R., Grant-Holcomb, A., and Teaford, S. (2009). “Evaluation of School Wellness Policies in North San Luis Obispo County.” Accessible at: Cal Poly Digital Commons site: http://works.bepress.com/dhey/
- Fetro, J.V. and Hey, D.W., (2000) “Who Wants to be Healthy?” Journal of School Health, 70(10), 417-419
- Adams, K., Ernst, A., and Hey D.W. (2000). Setting goals for achieving success. In J.V. Fetro and J.C. Drolet, Personal and Social Competence: Strategies for Communication, Decision-Making, Goal Setting, and Stress Management (pp. 213-215). Santa Cruz, CA: ETS Associates
- Adams, K., Ernst, A., and Hey, D.W. (2000). Developing a plan of action. In J.V. Fetro and J.C. Drolet, Personal and Social Competence: Strategies for Communication, Decision-Making, Goal Setting, and Stress Management (pp. 219-220). Santa Cruz, CA: ETS Associates
- Hey, D.W., and McDermott, A. (2011). Reported Behavior and Health Status Change Factors in Obese Teens (C-PaTH): Focus group results Phase II. CAHPERD: California Congress for Creating the Healthiest Children in America. Monterey, CA, (03/11).
- Hey, D.W., Hall, L., Hagobian, T., and McDermott, A. (2011). “The Freshman 15”: For Real or Myth? CAHPERD: California Congress for Creating the Healthiest Children in America. Monterey, CA, (03/11).
- Hey, D.W. (2007). 2007 Air Mobility Command’s Health Promotion Conference. Charleston Air Force Base, Charleston South Caroline. “Taking a Hard Look at the Pediatric Obesity Epidemic in the United States” (03/08)
- Hey, D.W. (2007). Integrated delivery Systems (IDS)( Project NorthStar Community Action Information Board (CAIB). Presentation to Wing Commanders. “Project FEELBETTER.” IDS Board endorses use of Internet sites: FEELBETTER, MOODGYM and BLUEPAGES to prevent and treat signs and symptoms of depression. Grand Forks ARB, (01/12)
- Hey, D.W. (2006). Wingman Day in Hangar (Wing Presentation). “What Does a Wingman do for this Fellow Wingmen?” Great American Smokeout Kickoff- Grand Forks Air Force Base ND
- Hey, D.W. (2006). U.S. Air Force Health Promotion Workshop. “Social Marketing and Social Marketing Jeopardy” Brooks City Base- San Antonio, Texas (May 01/06)
- Hey, D.W. (2005). “How do we stop and reverse the obesity epidemic?” (expert panel discussion) Dr. Jamie Benedict’s Nutrition and Obesity course NUTR. 400/600 (04/26)