Camille O'Bryant, Ph.D.
- The Ohio State University | Ph.D., in Sport, Leisure and Somatic Studies, 1996
- Smith College | M. S., in Exercise and Sport Studies, 1986
- Smith College | A. B., in French Studies, 1983
- Psycho/social Aspects of Physical Acitivity
- Sport and Gender
- Sport, Media and American Popular Culture
The foundational premise of my teaching philosophy is based on my initial respect for each student as an individual and an adult. I value the important roles that critical thinking and academic integrity play in higher education. As such, I attempt to implement opportunities for students to develop critical thinking and writing skills that help them become more aware of their professional and academic rights and responsibilities. My teaching approach is primarily student-centered. My ultimate goal is to empower students to take responsibility for their experiences in the classroom.
Research and Interests
My research interests rest at the intersection of psychology and sociology of sport and physical activity, especially where race/ethnicity, gender and gender identity impact the socialization experiences of people engaged in sport and physical activity.
Notable Academic Appointments and Awards
- Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo | Promoted to full Professor, 2011 - present
- Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo | Tenured Associate Professor, 2006 - 2011
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH | Teaching Associate, 1992-1995
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH | Minority Fellow, 1991-1992
- O’Bryant, C. (2010). Will this recession undermine diversity and inclusion in sports? Journal of Intercollegiate Sport 3 (1), pp. 101 – 110.
- Cooper, M., Hunt, K., O'Bryant, C. P. (2007). Women in coaching: Exploring females athletes' interest in the profession. The Chronicle of Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education. 18, pp. 8, 17-19.
- Burden, J. W., Hodge, S., O'Bryant, C. P., Harrison, L. (2004). From colorblindness to intercultral sensitivity in PETE programs. Quest. 56 (2), pp. 173-189.
- Armstrong, K., O'Bryant, C. P. (2007). Women of Color. In M. A. Hums, G. Bower, H. Grappendorf (Editors). Women as leaders in sport: Impact and influence. (pp 269-298) Reston, VA: AAHPERD Publications.
- O’Bryant, C., McDermott, A. (2009). Attitudes, Opinions and Knowledge of Obesity: Perspectives from the San Luis Obispo Community. Paper accepted for presentation at the 2009 NAKPEHE Conference in Sarasota, FL (January).
- O’Bryant, C., Pastore, D., Hums, M.A., Shelton, C., Fasting, K., Talbot, M., Ransdell, L., Blessing, B., Young, K., Griffin, J. (2009). Networking and Interacting with NAGWS. Roundtable Presentation at the 2009 AAHPERD Convention in Tampa, FL.
- Pastore, D., O'Bryant, C., Yiamouyiannis, A., Lough, N. (2008). Mentoring Experiences for Pioneering Women: Guidance for Females in Sport. Panel Presentation at the 2008 AAHPERD Convention in Fort Worth, TX.
- O'Bryant, C. P. (2005, August). We Can Make Sport Safe for LGBT Athletes and Coaches. Workshop presented at the IAPESGW (International Association of Physical Education and Sport for Girls and Women) World Congress, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (August).
- Johnson, I., O'Bryant, C. P., Lough, N. (2005, January). Title IX and Sport Socialization Expereiences for Girls and Women: Moving Toward Social Justice in Sport.
- O'Bryant, C. P., Jackson, Y., Dome, D., Ruffen, L., Snowden, R., Williams, J. (2004, June). It takes a team: Making sports safe for gay, lesibian, bisexual, and transgender athletes and coaches. Panel Presentaion at the annual meeting of the Black Coaches Association. Indianapolis, IN.