Cal Poly All-State High School Music Festival
The 2013 Cal Poly All-State Festival Wind Orchestra and Festival Jazz Band will be ensembles made up of carefully selected high school wind and percussion musicians chosen by recorded audition who will begin rehearsals on Friday evening, April 19, 2013, and give a concert on Sunday afternoon, April 21, 2013, at 2:30 p.m. in the prestigious Performing Arts Center located on the Cal Poly campus.
Apply to participate in the Cal Poly Festival Wind Orchestra or Jazz Band
- Festival Conductors
- Solo Competition
- Cal Poly Performance
- Meal Plans
- Concert Dress
- Open House
Festival Jazz Band
Trumpeter and Santa Barbara
City College Professor Emeritus
Festival Wind Orchestra
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo,
Festival participants will have the opportunity to audition to become the winner of the Festival Solo Competition Award. Participation in the solo competition is optional, but highly recommended. The solo competition winner(s) will perform as a soloist on the Sunday afternoon festival concert on April 21, and, if coming to Cal Poly as a music major will receive a music major scholarship. Professional piano accompaniment is provided both for the audition and for the winning solo performance. Winner(s) will receive a plaque and recognition at the Sunday concert. The competition takes place during the Saturday morning rehearsals.
As a part of the Festival and as a part of Cal Poly’s Open House, the university will perform an exciting Open House concert on Friday evening, April 19, at 8 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Featured on the concert will be the Cal Poly Symphony, the University Jazz Band, and the Cal Poly Wind Ensemble. This concert will include a great deal of exciting and entertaining music. Attendance at this concert will be required of all Festival participants.
Some festival participants live close enough to Cal Poly to stay at home on Friday and Saturday, April 19 and 20; however, most will need housing. Housing for the Festival will be at the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. Shuttle transportation will be provided to and from the hotel. Festival staff will ensure that each participant is comfortable with his/her accommodations. Advisors will be present 24 hours a day to ensure the safety of each participant. The cost for housing will be $55 per participant for two nights, a total of $110. Families wishing to travel with participants will need to arrange separate accommodations. A list of recommended hotels will be provided for families traveling with participants.
Meal Plan 1
- Costs $40 and includes the Friday night sub-sandwich social, dinner on Saturday, Saturday and Sunday full breakfast at the hotel, and the Sunday awards banquet.
- Meal Plan 2
- Costs $32 and includes the Friday night sub-sandwich social, and the Sunday awards banquet. This plan is for participants who will be staying at home or having their meals and accommodations with parents.
Each Festival participant should wear the same outfit as worn at concerts at home. If there is any doubt about what to wear, black and white is traditional concert dress.
- Friday, April 19, 2013
- Afternoon: Arrival, chair placement auditions (3-6:30 p.m.), sandwich social (6:30-7:30 p.m.)
- Evening: Concert - Cal Poly Wind Ensemble, Symphony and University Jazz Band I
- Saturday, April 20, 2013
- Morning: Rehearsals and Solo Competition
- Afternoon: Enjoy Cal Poly Open House, rehearsal late afternoon
- Evening: Relaxing dinner and evening rehearsal
- Sunday, April 21, 2013
- Morning: Rehearsal
- 11:30 a.m.: Festival Banquet
- 2:30 p.m. Concert: Festival Jazz Band, Solo Competition Winner(s) performance and the Festival Wind Orchestra in the Performing Arts Center.
- Departure: 4:30 p.m.
- Copies of music to be performed during the festival will be sent to each participant once all recorded auditions have been processed.
- Wind Orchestra chair placement auditions will be held on Friday, April 19, and will be based upon excerpts taken from this music.
- Jazz Band parts will be assigned in advance based on the audition CD.
The Festival will be held on the same weekend as Cal Poly’s Open House. This outstanding event features departmental exhibits, entertainment activities and a wonderful opportunity for high school students to become better acquainted with the university environment.
The festival registration fee is $55 for each participant. There is no application fee. The registration fee and any housing and/or meal plan costs are due in March (after all applications have been processed and the results have been posted). More detailed information is on the application.