The Cal Poly Symphony …
- Is a full Symphony Orchestra of 70-80 players: strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion
- Includes students from almost every major—75% are from majors other than Music
- Performs one or two major concerts each quarter on the main stage of the Performing Arts Center
- Goes on tours. We performed in the Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C., in 2012!
- Provides subsidized lessons to members
- Has instruments available for check-out to members
- Is a class: MU 174/374
Works Recently Performed
- Rimsky-Korsakov: "Scheherazade"
- Music from video games ("Angry Birds," "Battlefield 2" and more)
- Brahms: Symphony No. 4
- Marquez: Danzon No. 2
- Mussorgksy/Ravel: "Pictures at an Exhibition"
- Orff: "Carmina Burana" (with Cal Poly Choirs)
- Hagen: "Triple Concerto" (West Coast premiere, with the Amelia Piano Trio)
- Music from the movies ("Jurassic Park," "Psycho" and more)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays during the quarter, 4:40 - 6:30 p.m.
Room 216 of the Davidson Music Center (building 45)
How Do I Join?
- Come to the H. P. Davidson Music Building during the Week of Welcome, or during the first few days of classes. Sign-up sheets will be posted outside room 128.
- Sign up for a time (10 minutes) and bring a prepared piece (or pieces) of your choice. Choose music that shows you at your best, not necessarily the most difficult piece you know. You should choose a short section that is fast/technical, and a short section that is slow/lyrical, to give the conductor an idea of your playing.
Email Dr. Arrivée
Office phone: 805-756-2358
Office location: Davidson Music Center, building 45, room 128
Symphony Web page