Keep up your music at Cal Poly! There's a place for you!
Music Department Brochure
- Arab Music Ensemble
- Student Opera Theatre
- Additional Ensembles
- Sound Design Program
- Letter from the Music Department Chair
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I join ensembles?
- The thrill of being in a powerful university music ensemble that fills the hall with beautiful music for a large audience is something that will instill memories for a lifetime. Membership in a close-knit group of proud, enthusiastic individuals who love to perform will make your college days meaningful and joyful. Don’t miss it!
- Will I have time to participate?
- Since 80% of most ensemble members major in something other than music, they are carefully designed to be compatible with all academic majors on campus. With only 4 or fewer hours of rehearsals per week, most students have no problem working an ensemble (or more!) into their busy schedules. The directors are always eager to assist new students with any scheduling conflicts that may arise. Please note the rehearsal schedules and do your best to avoid class conflicts.
- Are instruments available?
- Yes, for a small use fee ($10) students can check out instruments. Most of these instruments are the finest made. The use fee entitles you to a locker (based on availability) and practice room time.
- Any other ensembles?
- Yes!—including Trombone Choir, Guitar Ensemble, Clarinet Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Brass Ensemble, Chamber Winds, Saxophone Quartets, Wind Quintets, and String Quartets.
- Visit the Music Department's Ensembles Web page for information on these groups.
- When can I sign up to audition?
- Sign up for your interview/audition during Week of Welcome (WOW) or during the first week of classes in the Davidson Music Center (building 45). See the pages of the ensembles in which you're interested to get specific details about auditions.