Lorraine Donegan is a Professor in the Graphic Communication Department at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, California. She is the coordinator for the Design Reproduction Technology concentration within the Graphic Communication department. One specific goal of Ms. Donegan's teaching is to link design with technology, preparing students to understand the language and role of the graphic designer, the print provider and the final product. Her teaching and research specialties include typography and design technology of books and magazines. She also teaches web design and production, you can visit the student sites here.
Lorraine is a fellow with Cal Poly’s Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. She is the coordinator for Cal Poly's Design & Dev Hackathon which brings together over 120 students from disciplines across campus. In February 2013 she helped coordinate Cal Poly's Evernote Hackathon with over 100 Cal Poly students from every discipline. She is also the faculty advisor for the Creative Media Development Club (CMD), a student club to whose mission is to educate students on current industry web development and media standards in a social learning environment.
Lorraine has worked in the field of graphic design and production since 1990, when she owned her first Macintosh Classic. She has spoken at conferences in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Chicago and New York City on the issues of design and production. In 2006 she was honored with the Electronic Document Systems Foundation (EDSF) Educator of the Year award for her contributions to educational efforts in the advancement of printing, document management and communications. She was honored at Print ‘05 in Chicago with the Silver Award for Digital Books and Manuals in the Printing Innovation with Xerox Imaging Awards on behalf of her students for their work in designing and producing 4-forty Magazine: A Compilation of Student Work. When Lorraine is not teaching, she enjoys her spending time with her husband and two daughters. She loves to shop, entertain and cook. She also has a passion for classic type, beautiful books and letterpress printing.
Honors, Awards, Leadership & Involvement
- Hackathon Showcases Student Design and Innovation Feb. 8 (2014)
- Cal Poly Sets Third Annual Startup Weekend for Jan. 17
- Three Cal Poly Professors Accepted to National Coleman Fellows Program
- Student Design for Cal Poly's 2014 Open House
- Cal Poly Announces 2013 Evernote ‘Hackathon’ Winners
- Evernote Hackathon comes to Cal Poly Feb. 2013
- Cal Poly Wins the 2013 PGSF College Poster Design Competition
- The Science of Type (Moderator)
- Is It Still a Book? (Speaker)
- Graphic Arts Education Research Foundation Award Winners: 2011, 2010
- Publishing Professionals Network (formerly Bookbuilders West) Student Scholarship Competition Winners: June 2012– June 2002
(June 2012 winners)
Cal Poly press release-2011 winners
- 2006 EDSF Excellence in Education and Educator of the Year Award
- Cal Poly Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award 2005
- California Faculty Association (CFA)
Distinguished Educator Award - Cal Poly, 2003-2004
- Cal Poly Faculty Woman of the Year, March 2002