English Version - Spanish Version

University Housing and Campus Dining

Campus Living

University Housing is committed to providing a quality living and learning environment to freshmen and sophomores that encourages academic and personal development. Housing options include triple, double and private rooms in residence halls and apartments. Throughout the year, academic, social and service-oriented programs are offered to enhance students’ experience.

How are the rooms furnished?
Residence hall rooms include a bed, a chest of drawers, a desk, a chair, a bookshelf and a wastebasket for each resident. Apartments have four to five bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and two bathrooms and are fully furnished. More housing move-in information, a list of allowed and restricted items, room dimensions and other details  can be found on the University Housing website.

What staff is available for students living on campus? 
The coordinators of student development (CSD) are full-time professionals with master’s degrees who are skilled in leadership, program development, resource referral, and advising. Living in the halls and apartment communities, they train and direct resident/community advisors in their duties, supervise the desk staff, advise students on Hall Council functions, and oversee community standards and administrative procedures.

How are roommate disputes handled?
Many disputes can be resolved before they begin by roommates taking some time at the beginning of the year to complete a Roommate Agreement form and by addressing concerns in a respectful manner as they arise. Students can also talk with their resident advisor (RA) and/or the CSD, who will help them improve communication and help solve their differences.

How can I get more information regarding a Community Standards resolution my son or daughter has received?
 University Housing expects residents to act maturely, responsibly and respectfully. You are encouraged to speak directly to your son or daughter to get as much information as possible about any incident. Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, staff cannot provide information about student records without a Release of Information form.  Students who would like staff to speak with their parents about a particular incident may turn in a completed Release of Information form allowing the discussion to occur. CSDs can provide general information about the judicial process.

Students found in violation of housing policies are subject to administrative and educational resolutions. If violations are serious or repetitive, the administrative resolution may include revocation of students’ on-campus housing license. In such cases, students are required to move off campus but continue to pay for their on-campus housing and dining plan for the remainder of their housing contract.

Who can I talk to about a problem my son or daughter is having?

Students who come to you with a problem should be encouraged to contact their CSD. If you have a concern that you feel is affecting your son or daughter’s well being, you may contact the CSD yourself. They appreciate being aware of your concerns and will follow up as appropriate.

How can I mail a letter or package to a student?
Include the following information when addressing mail:
    Student’s Name
    Hall Name and Room Number
    Cal Poly
    One Grand Avenue
    San Luis Obispo, CA  93410 + 4 digit extension

Cal Poly’s Distribution Services department sorts and distributes all mail. Letters are delivered to the student’s mailbox, and packages are delivered to a Residence Hall Package Center. It is recommended that the sender mail packages with delivery confirmation. Students are notified via e-mail when packages have been received. University Housing cannot accept delivery of packages from Distribution Services during academic breaks. Once the academic year ends, the campus does not forward student mail. See the "Mailing Addresses" link under the Freshmen, Transfer or Continuing menus on the University Housing website.

What course of action is recommended for students who have pre-existing medical or mental health concerns?
Students are strongly encouraged to set up a support network of medical and/or mental health professionals in the San Luis Obispo area before arriving on campus. Parents are encouraged to contact Cal Poly’s Health and Counseling Services if assistance is needed to set up support services.

University Housing welcomes the opportunity to address concerns in a proactive manner. This allows parents, students and housing staff to become partners in setting up support systems that help students succeed. For more information, contact the Residential Life and Education staff at 805-756-5690.

How can freshman apply to live on-campus for a second year?
Current Cal Poly freshmen who have demonstrated mature, responsible and respectful behavior are given a “priority application window” during winter quarter to apply for second-year campus housing in Poly Canyon Village and the Cerro Vista Apartments. Details are provided to students and parents in January, prior to the date of their application window.

University Housing sends students e-mails, posts and distributes flyers, and places advertisements in Cal Poly’s Mustang Daily newspaper prior to University Housing’s application window.

What programs are available for second-year students living on campus?
The Poly Canyon Village Apartments house 2,700 students in fully furnished on-campus apartments. The Sophomore Success Program in Poly Canyon Village is designed to help second-year students living on campus with a successful transition to their junior year. Second-year residents benefit from events and services that support and expand upon their academic experience. The program addresses academic planning, community awareness and involvement, and autonomy. Staff promote mature and responsible living environments.

Off-Campus Living

What resources are available to help students plan for off-campus living?
University Housing offers a variety of resources and information on its website regarding off-campus living. Under the “Off Campus Living” heading, students will find a variety of links and information available to assist them.
Sources for off-campus rental listings include:

  • Click on “Off-Campus Living,” then “Housing Listing Services.”
  • Click on “Classifieds.”
  • Local newspapers The Tribune and New Times

What assistance is available if students encounter unsafe housing in the community?
Many renters aren’t aware of, or tend not to worry about, improperly maintained housing or safety issues until they find themselves in situations that cost them time and money. Students should be urged to carefully inspect rentals before signing agreements. Code Enforcement for the City of San Luis Obispo investigates residential building code violations. For more information or to report a suspected violation, visit the San Luis Obispo Community Development website.
What assistance is available if students encounter roommate or landlord/tenant disputes?
 SLO Solutions offers free conflict resolution services specializing in landlord/tenant, neighbor/neighbor, and roommate/housemate conflicts. Call 805-549-0442 or visit SLO Solutions for more information.

Students can make an appointment for a free one-time, 15-minute legal consultation through the Associated Students Inc. (ASI) Business Office in the University Union, Room 212, or by calling 805-756-1281.

Cal Poly’s Counseling Center can also assist students who need someone to talk to about roommate or landlord issues.

The State of California’s Department of Consumer Affairs publishes a California Tenants’ Guide that is helpful and “renter-friendly.”

Campus Dining

Food is fuel for the mind. Restaurants on campus nourish and stimulate the intellect of thousands of Cal Poly students. Campus Dining is dedicated to providing a variety of quality fresh foods and exceptional service in a friendly environment.

Campus Dining offers over 20 restaurants and food venues on campus with at least one food operation open every day. Campus Dining offers a wide variety of fare that is vegetarian, non-dairy, wheat/gluten-free and low-fat to accommodate various food preferences and allergies. Fresh foods are brought in from local and regional producers to develop healthy and delicious menu items.

Campus Dining is constantly improving its operations to function more sustainably. Driven by consumer demand, all campus restaurants avoid using polystyrene (foam), and all of the cardboard, plastic, glass, and metal used is properly recycled. The culinary chefs are mindful about purchasing fruits, vegetables, dairy, and meat products from the Cal Poly Organic Farm and other local producers. Thousands of pounds of food material is composted and safely made into premium soil. Campus Dining operates biodiesel trucks and is continually looking for ways to green things up!

What are the dining plan options?

There are four dining plans for first-year students living on campus to choose from: Freedom, Flexibility, Security, and Apartment Life. The dining plans differ in the number of dining credits and amount of Plu$ Dollars. For more information, see the Campus Dining website.

The dining credit component, allocated weekly, can be used at several campus restaurants, providing dining convenience throughout the year. Plu$ Dollars can be used to buy food at any campus restaurant or marketplace. Plu$ Dollars are allocated quarterly and can be used at any time during the contractual period.

The PolyCard (Cal Poly ID) is used to track and redeem dining credits and Plu$ Dollars on campus.

How do students sign up for a dining plan?

After they are accepted into campus housing, students can sign up for a dining plan by visiting the Cal Poly portal and clicking on the “Dining Plan” tab. Access to the “Dining Plan” tab is available only after registration and payment for campus housing has been received and processed by the university. Sign-up for fall dining plans begins in the summer.

How do I pay for the dining plan?

Payments for campus dining plans may be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover, with no service charge) or by check. If paying by check, sign up for a dining plan on the Cal Poly portal, print out the form, and mail it with your check. Make the check payable to “Cal Poly Corporation,” write the student ID number on the check, and send it to:

Cal Poly Corporation Cashier
One Grand Avenue
Building 15
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0707

Payments should be postmarked by the due date to avoid a $25 late fee.

What is the Campus Express Club?

The Campus Express Club makes it easy for students to purchase food, supplies and services on campus with their PolyCard (Cal Poly ID). Parents and students can add value at any time by going online or dropping off a check at the Campus Dining Customer Service Office (Building 19). Students can use their Campus Express Club at all campus restaurants, El Corral Bookstore, Canyon Post, and Health Services, as well as for printing at computer labs and at many vending machines on campus.

To easily add value to a student’s Campus Express Club, go to the Campus Dining website and click on “Add Value Now.”

How can I send care packages to a student?

The Campus Dining Care Pack program makes it easy to send students birthday cakes, cookies, gift certificates, and other popular items. Packages are delivered to their students’ homes or on-campus rooms. For details and order forms, go to the Campus Dining Care Pack website.

Do students with a dining plan need Campus Express Club, too?

Most students do use the Campus Express Club in addition to the dining plan since the dining plan only covers purchases at campus restaurants, markets and many vending machines. The Campus Express Club is convenient because it allows students to use their PolyCard at El Corral Bookstore, Pony Prints and Health Services, as well as for printing at campus computer labs.

English Version - Spanish Version

Las Residencias y Restaurantes de la Universidad

La Vida Universitaria

La oficina de Residencias Universitarias se ha comprometido a proporcionar una calidad de vida y ambiente de aprendizaje para los estudiantes del primer año y del segundo año para ayudarlos en su desarrollo académico y personal. Las opciones de alojamiento incluyen habitaciones triples, dobles y habitaciones privadas en residencias y apartamentos. A lo largo del año se ofrece a los estudiantes un servicio de programas académico, social y orientado al servicio para mejorar la experiencia de la vida en las residencias universitarias.

¿Cómo son las habitaciones amuebladas?
Las habitaciones en las residencias universitarias incluyen una cama, una cómoda, un escritorio, una silla, un librero y una papelera para cada residente. Los apartamentos tienen entre cuatro y cinco dormitorios, e incluyen salones, cocinas, y dos cuartos de baño y están completamente amueblados Más información acerca de cómo mudarse a las residencias y para obtener una lista de las cosas permitidas y restringidas, las dimensiones de las habitaciones y demás información se puede encontrar en la (En la sección "Vida en el campus" ver "Mudándose" en el marco del vínculo para estudiantes del primer año, los estudiantes transferidos, o en el modulo continuación).

¿Qué personal está disponible para los estudiantes que viven en el campus?
Los coordinadores de desarrollo estudiantil (CDS) son profesionales de tiempo completo con un titulo de maestría que son expertos en liderazgo, desarrollo de programas, referencia de recursos, y el asesoramiento. Viven en las residencias universitarias, entrenan y asesoran directamente en sus funciones a los residentes y consejeros de la comunidad, supervisan al personal de oficina, asesoran a los estudiantes sobre las funciones del Salón del Consejo (Hall Council), y supervisan las normas de la comunidad y los procedimientos administrativos.

¿Cómo se tratan los conflictos entre compañeros de cuarto?
Muchos conflictos se pueden resolver antes de que estos comiencen entre los compañeros de habitación, tomando un tiempo al comienzo del año para completar un formulario llamado “Acuerdo de Compañeros de Habitación” y hablando acerca de los problemas de una manera respetuosa en cuanto estos se presenten. Los estudiantes también pueden hablar con su asesor de la residencia (RA) o con los coordinadores del desarrollo estudiantil (CSD), quienes les ayudarán a mejorar la comunicación y ayudarán a resolver sus diferencias.

¿Cómo puedo obtener más información acerca de una resolución judicial que ha recibido mi hijo o hija?
La universidad espera que los residentes de las residencias universitarias actúen con madurez, responsabilidad y respeto. Le animamos a hablar directamente con su hijo o hija para obtener la mayor información posible acerca de cualquier incidente. Debido a la ley que protege los derechos de Familia y los Derechos Educativos y de Privacidad (FERPA), el personal no puede proporcionar información sobre los archivos de los estudiantes sin tener un formulario firmado por el estudiante dando su consentimiento. Los coordinadores del desarrollo estudiantil (CDS) pueden proporcionar información general sobre el proceso judicial.

Los estudiantes que se encuentran en violación de las reglas de vivienda están sujetos a las resoluciones administrativas y educativas. Si las violaciones son graves o repetidas, la resolución administrativa puede incluir la revocación de la licencia de los estudiantes para vivir en las residencias universitarias. En tales casos, los estudiantes están obligados a desplazarse fuera del campus, pero continuarán pagando por su vivienda en el campus y el plan de comidas durante el resto de su contrato de vivienda.

¿Con quién puedo hablar acerca de un problema que mi hijo o hija está teniendo?
Los estudiantes que vienen a usted con un problema, deben de ser alentados para que se pongan en contacto con sus CDS. Si usted tiene una preocupación que siente que esta afectando el bienestar de su hijo o  hija, puede ponerse en contacto directamente con el CSD usted mismo. Ellos respetan y son conscientes de sus preocupaciones y harán una investigación sobre el asunto.

¿Cómo puedo enviar una carta o paquete a un estudiante?
Incluya la siguiente información cuando envía algo por correo:
      Nombre del Estudiante
      Nombre de la residencia y el número de la habitación
      Cal Poly
      One Grand Avenue
      San Luis Obispo, CA 93410

El departamento de Servicios de Distribución de Cal Poly recibe y distribuye todo el correo. Las cartas se entregan a los estudiantes en sus respectivos buzones y los paquetes son entregados a un Centro de distribución en las Residencias. Los estudiantes son notificados por correo electrónico cuando han recibido paquetes. La oficina de Vivienda de la Universidad no puede aceptar la entrega de paquetes de los servicios de distribución durante las vacaciones académicas. Una vez que termina el año académico, el correo del estudiante no es remitido por el campus. Por favor visite (En la sección "Vida en el campus" y vea  "las direcciones de correo" en la secciones de estudiantes del primer año, estudiantes transferidos o que continúan).

¿Qué curso de acción es recomendado para estudiantes que tienen un problema médico preexistente o problemas de salud mental?
Se anima encarecidamente a los estudiantes a crear una red de apoyo de médicos y / o de profesionales de la salud mental en el Condado de San Luis Obispo antes de llegar a la universidad. Se aconseja a los padres que se pongan en contacto con el centro de salud y de orientación de Cal Poly si necesitan ayuda para establecer servicios de apoyo.

La oficina de Vivienda universitaria desea la oportunidad de abordar preocupaciones de una manera proactiva. Esto permite a los padres, estudiantes y al personal de la vivienda a ser socios en la creación de sistemas de apoyo que ayudan a los estudiantes a tener éxito. Para obtener más información, póngase en contacto con la oficina de Vida Residencial y el Personal de Educación al 805-756-5690.

¿Cómo pueden estudiantes de primer año solicitar para vivir en el campus durante su segundo año?
A los estudiantes de Cal Poly que durante su primer año han demostrado un comportamiento maduro, responsable y respetuoso  se les da una ventana de prioridad  para "solicitar" en el trimestre de invierno para vivir el segundo año en las residencias universitarias de  Poly Canyon Village y los Apartamentos Cerro Vista. Los detalles se proporcionan a los estudiantes y padres de familia en enero, antes de la fecha de su ventana de la aplicación.

La oficina de Vivienda de la Universidad envía mensajes de correo electrónico a los estudiantes, pone afiches y distribuye folletos y anuncios en el diario Cal Poly Mustang antes que el periodo para solicitar se abra a los estudiantes.

¿Qué programas están disponibles para los estudiantes del segundo año que viven en las residencias universitarias?
Los apartamentos de Poly Canyon Village Apartments albergan a 2.700 estudiantes en apartamentos completamente amueblados en el campus. El Programa de Éxito para los estudiantes del segundo año en Poly Canyon Village está diseñado para ayudar a los estudiantes del segundo año que están viviendo en las residencias universitarias con el éxito de la transición a su tercer año de estudios universitarios. Los residentes del Segundo año se benefician de los eventos y servicios de apoyo y amplían su experiencia académica. El programa aborda la planificación académica, la sensibilización y la participación en la comunidad, y la autonomía. El Personal promueve una forma madura y responsable de las condiciones de vida.

Viviendo Fuera De La Universidad

¿Qué recursos están disponibles para ayudar a que los estudiantes planifiquen vivir fuera de la universidad?
La oficina de Vivienda de la Universidad ofrece una variedad de recursos y la información en su sitio web con respecto a vivienda fuera del campus. En la sección con el titulo "Vivir fuera del campus", los estudiantes encontrarán una variedad de enlaces y la información disponible para ayudarles.
Fuentes de información para vivir fuera de la universidad con anuncios de alquiler incluyen: Haga clic en "Off-Campus Living," y luego "Housing Listing Services." Haga clic en "Anuncios".
• Los periódicos locales The Tribune y New Times

¿Qué ayuda está disponible si los estudiantes se sienten inseguros de vivir en la comunidad?
Muchos inquilinos no están conscientes, o tienden a no preocuparse, si la vivienda está inadecuadamente mantenida o las cuestiones de seguridad no son aceptables hasta que se encuentran en situaciones que les cuestan tiempo y dinero. Los estudiantes deben de ser aconsejados a inspeccionar cuidadosamente antes de firmar los acuerdos de alquiler. Las reglas del Código de la Ciudad de San Luis Obispo investigan las violaciones de las construcciones residenciales. Para obtener más información o para reportar una sospecha de violación, vea

¿Qué ayuda está disponible si los estudiantes tiene disputas con su compañero de cuarto o con el propietario/arrendatario?
SLO Solutions ofrece servicios de resolución de conflictos gratuito y se especializan en conflictos entre propietario/arrendatario, vecino/vecino, compañero de cuarto/compañero de casa. Llame al 805-549-0442 o visite para más información.

Los estudiantes pueden hacer una cita para una consulta legal de 15 minutos gratis por solamente una vez, a través de la Asociación de Estudiantes Inc. (ASI), la oficina de Negocios en el edificio de la Unión de Estudiantes de la Universidad, Sala 212, o llamando al 805-756-1281.

El Centro de Asesoramiento de Cal Poly también puede ayudar a los estudiantes que necesitan hablar con alguien acerca de problemas que están teniendo con los compañeros de habitación o propietario.

El Estado de California y el Departamento de Asuntos del Consumidor de California publica una Guía para los inquilinos que es útil y “amigable con los inquilinos.” Vea

Comedores de la Universidad

La comida es el combustible para la mente. Los restaurantes en el campus nutren y estimulan la inteligencia de miles de estudiantes de Cal Poly. Los restaurantes de la universidad están dedicados a proveer una variedad de alimentos frescos de calidad y un servicio excepcional en un ambiente amigable.

Los restaurantes de la universidad ofrecen más de 20 restaurantes y lugares de comida en la universidad con al menos un sitio de alimentación que se mantiene abierto todos los días. Los restaurantes del campus ofrecen una amplia variedad de menús que incluyen vegetarianos, no lácteos, sin trigo/sin gluten y bajo en grasa para dar cabida a las diferentes preferencias alimentarías y las alergias. Los alimentos son frescos y comprados de los agricultores locales y regionales para desarrollar sanas y deliciosas opciones del menú.

Los restaurantes de la universidad mejoran constantemente sus operaciones a fin de funcionar de forma más sostenible. Impulsado por la demanda de los consumidores, todos los restaurantes del campus evitan el uso de poli estireno (espuma) y todos los utensilios de cartón, plástico, vidrio y metal son reciclados adecuadamente. Los chefs de cocina son conscientes acerca de la compra de frutas, verduras, productos lácteos, carne y productos de la granja orgánica de Cal Poly y de otros productores locales. Miles de libras de alimentos son convertidos en abono y convertidos en tierra de primera calidad. ¡Los restaurantes de la universidad utilizan camiones que usan biodiésel y están constantemente buscando maneras de ayudar al medio ambiente!

¿Cuáles son las opciones de planes de comedor?
Hay cuatro planes de comedor para los estudiantes del primer año que viven en el campus y para elegir: libertad, flexibilidad, seguridad, vida de apartamento. Los planes de comedor difieren en el número de comedor y la cantidad de créditos Plu$Dollars. Para obtener más información, consulte

El componente de crédito de comedor, es asignado semanalmente, y puede ser utilizado en varios restaurantes del campus, proporcionan comodidad para comer durante todo el año. Plu$Dollars se puede utilizar para comprar alimentos en cualquier restaurante o mercado de la universidad. Plu$Dollars se asignan cada trimestre y se pueden utilizar en cualquier momento durante el período contractual.

La tarjeta de  PolyCard (Cal Poly ID) es utilizada para rastrear y canjear los créditos y comedor Plu$Dollars en el campus.

¿Cómo los estudiantes se inscriben para un plan de comedor?
Después de haber sido aceptado en la residencia universitaria, los estudiantes pueden inscribirse para un plan de comedor visitando el portal de Cal Poly y haciendo clic en la ficha "Plan de Comida". Acceso a la ficha "Plan de Comida" sólo está disponible después de que los pagos por la inscripción y el pago de de la vivienda en la universidad hayan sido recibidos y procesados por la universidad. La inscripción para los planes de comedor para el otoño comienza en el verano.

¿Cómo puedo pagar por el plan de comedor?
Los pagos para los planes de comedor del campus podrán hacerse con tarjeta de crédito (Visa, MasterCard o Discover, sin cargo por servicio) o por cheque. Si paga con cheque, inscríbase en el plan de comedor en el portal de Cal Poly, imprima el formulario y envíelo con su cheque. Haga el cheque pagadero a "Cal Poly Corporation", escriba el número de identificación del estudiante en el cheque y envíelo a:

Cal Poly Corporation Cashier
One  Grand Avenue
Edificio 15
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0707

Los pagos deben tener matasellos de la fecha de vencimiento para evitar una cuota de $25 por tardanza.

¿Qué es el Campus Express Club?
El Campus Express Club facilita a los estudiantes con la compra de alimentos, suministros y servicios en el campus con sus PolyCard (Cal Poly ID). Los padres y los estudiantes pueden agregar valor en cualquier momento por Internet o dejar un cheque en la oficina de los restaurantes del Campus en la sección de la oficina de Servicio al Cliente (Edificio 19). Los estudiantes pueden utilizar su Campus Express Club en todos los restaurantes del campus, Librería El Corral, la oficina de correos en Canyon Post, y Servicios de Salud, así como para la impresión en laboratorios de computación y en muchas máquinas expendedoras en el campus.

Para agregar fácilmente valor a la tarjeta Campus Express Club de un estudiante, vaya a Haga clic en "Agregar valor ahora".

¿Cómo puedo enviar paquetes a un estudiante?
El programa Care Pack Campus ofrecido por los restaurantes de la universidad ayuda para que puedan enviar a los estudiantes pasteles de cumpleaños, galletas, certificados de regalo, y otros temas populares con los estudiantes universitarios. Los pedidos son entregados a los hogares o las residencias universitarias de los estudiantes. Para obtener más información y formularios de pedidos, vaya a

¿Los estudiantes que tiene un plan de comedor tienen también necesidad de un Campus Express Club?
La mayoría de los estudiantes usan el Campus Express Club, además del plan de comedor ya que el plan de comedor sólo cubre las compras en los restaurantes, mercados y muchas máquinas expendedoras. El Campus Express Club es conveniente, porque permite a los estudiantes utilizar sus PolyCard en la Librería El Corral, Pony Prints y Servicios de Salud, así como para la impresión de documentos en los laboratorios de computación de la universidad.