The key student learning outcomes of a Service Learning course are that the service
- provides the students with newly acquired knowledge and skills
- enhances their values and views
An effective Service Learning course should be able to provide answers to the following questions:
- How has the Service Learning experience supported the students’ development as individuals and members of the community?
- Has the student acquired specific knowledge and skills?
- What do they know now that they didn’t know before?
- What can they do now that they couldn’t do before?
- How has the service project impacted students’ lives?
- How has it shaped their values, goals, attitudes, self-concepts, world views, and behaviors?
- How has it enhanced their value of themselves and their community?